I invite you to look at--

My Website where you will find: ordering information and chapter summaries for The Beauty of God for a Broken World; audio sermons; a few poems and hymns; and some other essays.

My Videos where you will find a few two-minute videos on various subjects related to The Beauty of God for a Broken World.

Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Once a Year or Never

This is a bit of poetic drivel I wrote several years ago for my own entertainment. Perhaps it will entertain you as well. It is intended to be read aloud--but not too loud.

Once a Year or Never

(Being a poor poet’s imitation of Ogden Nash)

Most people think windows ought to be done in the spring and in the fall,
But I think they ought to be done once a year or not at all.
Cleaning windows is an awful chore and a terrible laborium,
And the space between the panes is a natural laboritorium—
An entomologist’s delight and Miss Muffet’s sorest fright.
What are those glass menageries
With plants and smallish creaturies?
They might be called terrariums.
Perhaps they’re planetariums.
I think I’ll call my viewing ports my little spiderariums.
If I cleaned my windows in the spring and in the fall,
I would say I do it by the semi-annu-all.
If each four years I try to do them sorterly,
May I say I clean my windows quarterly?
My neighbors are ashamed.  With me they are quite vexed.
I’ll start my annual cleaning in the year that’s after next.

                                                             John K. La Shell

No comments:

Post a Comment