I invite you to look at--

My Website where you will find: ordering information and chapter summaries for The Beauty of God for a Broken World; audio sermons; a few poems and hymns; and some other essays.

My Videos where you will find a few two-minute videos on various subjects related to The Beauty of God for a Broken World.

Pages

Friday, January 11, 2019

In His Own Words -- Introduction

I'm working on a new book called Jesus in His Own Words: The Testimony of Jesus regarding Himself. In order to keep my nose to the grindstone, I plan to post one chapter per week. The chapters and the book will be fairly short. I invite you to submit corrections, questions, and suggestions. When it is all done, I plan to self-publish it. Here goes with the Introduction.

Why This Book?


“Jesus never said He was the Son of God,” claimed my professor. It was the winter of 1966, and I was a freshman at the University of California, San Diego. I didn’t know any better at the time. Neither did the young lady in our church who heard exactly the same claim a couple of years ago in her college religion class.
However, Jesus clearly called Himself the Son of God in John 5:17-30, and He acknowledged that He had said, “I am the Son of God” in John 10:36. Moreover, when Simon Peter said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God,” Jesus replied, “Blessed are you Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but my Father who is in heaven” (Matthew 16:16-17). At His Jewish trial, when the high priest asked Jesus, “Are you the Christ, the Son of the blessed One?” the Lord answered, “I am” (Mark 14:61-62).
Even more outrageous is the notion, popularized by Dan Brown, that Jesus was not regarded as divine until the Council of Nicea in AD 325. The truth is that both orthodox Christians and those deemed heretics taught the divinity of Jesus. Even the Gnostics, whom Brown claims to have read, regarded Jesus as divine. The issue at Nicea was the precise sense in which Jesus divine. Only the invincibly ignorant will say about such a well-documented historical fact, “Well, that’s just your opinion.” That popular retort—I’ve heard it—is a fool’s way of protecting his own ignorance.
Then there are the cultists who go two by two throughout your neighborhood. They claim that the Bible does not teach the doctrine of the Trinity. It is true, of course, that the word “Trinity,” never occurs in the Bible. However, the truths summarized by “Trinity” are clearly taught throughout the Scriptures.[1] Perhaps you have attempted to show the visitors at your door John 1:1, which says that “the Word [Christ] was God.” If you did, they certainly trotted out their corrupt translation, which says, “the word was a god.”
At this point, many Christians do not know what to say. Probably neither they, nor the cultists know Greek, so all each side can do is repeat, “My Bible says….” When cult members go on to insist that Jesus cannot be God because He said, “My Father is greater than I” (John 14:28), all the average believer can do is to shut the door in their faces. I deal with these cult objections to the deity of Christ in Appendix A, but for now I want to introduce the primary focus of this book.
Our belief in the deity of Christ does not depend on two or three well-known verses. Jesus constantly said things that would be blasphemous on the lips of anyone but God. You may have read C. S. Lewis’s famous trilemma about Christ. After referring to some of the outrageous claims of Jesus, he concluded,
I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to (Mere Christianity, Book ii, chap. 3).
My goal in the following pages is to compare the claims of Christ with what the Old Testament teaches us about the one, true, and living God. On page after page of the gospels Jesus applies to Himself privileges and titles that only God can claim. Since the synoptic gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke) frequently receive less emphasis in discussions of Christ’s deity than the gospel of John does, I will initially focus more attention on their testimony before turning to the fourth gospel.




[1] See my book Practical Bible Doctrine for a basic explanation of the Trinity. Chapter 10 of my book The Beauty of God for a Broken World contains a more extended treatment based on the insights of Jonathan Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment